In less than three weeks, George Clooney could win his second Oscar. 15 years ago, after jumping from TV to movies, it would have been unimaginable to think that he would have four Oscar nominations and be considered not only one of the biggest stars in the world, but also one the best actors in the biz.
He has come a long way since Batman & Robin.
Here are my choices for the 5 best performances he has given us.
1) THE DESCENDANTS – George still shows charm and his great self-deprecating humor in one of the best films of 2011. It wasn’t until I saw his final scene with his wife who is in a coma, that I knew that this would go down as his best performance so far.
2) UP IN THE AIR – While critics and haters think Clooney just plays himself in every movie, they might be right, but he doesn’t so well. In this he plays a workaholic who never wants to get married or settle down. Shocker, right? But just watch the last 20 minutes and see the pain on his face as he realizes what heartbreak really is.
3) MICHAEL CLAYTON – What’s great about this performance is that he doesn’t play a hotshot attorney. Clayton is a “fixer” for a law firm who is truly down on his luck financially, as well as spiritually. His closing scene with Tilda Swinton will have you cheering at the end.
4) THE AMERICAN – An overlooked performance, in my humble opinion. Clooney plays an ice cold assassin who never lets emotions get in the way of his missions. It’s an acquired taste, not everyone will enjoy the film or his performance. George is in every single scene of the film.
5) SYRIANA – He won an Oscar for his portrayal of a semi-retired CIA agent. He gained about 25 lbs and suffered a devastating back injury that still bothers him to this day. The scene that really stands out to me is his torture at the hands of Hezbollah.