Many celebrities find their lives spiraling out of control when they reach the height of their fame. The pressures in Hollywood to be thin becomes overwhelming and stars often become victim of an eating disorder. Here is a list of 8 celebrities who have struggled with an eating disorder during their lives in the spotlight.
1. Brandy: Brandy recently admitted in a Behind-the-Music special for VH1 that she suffered from an eating disorder. When she was on top of the world and at the height of her career she was raking in the money and living with fame. What she was also living with was anorexia.
2. Jessica Alba: In 2005, Jessica admitted that she had an eating disorder. Because she had a family that was primarily overweight, she wanted to be skinny. Of course, she wanted to be the one to break the cycle. However, it was during her role in Dark Angel that she started not eating and struggled with anorexia.
3. Kate Moss: It was obvious that Kate Moss had a stick-like figure. But in the modeling industry, the thinner, the better. Not only did Moss struggle with anorexia but drug abuse. Back in 2001, Kate was hospitalized.
4. Victoria Beckham: She’s denied it time and time again, but it was back in 2001 that Vicky B. admitted to struggling with anorexia. She was quoted as saying, “In the gym, instead of checking my posture or position, I was checking the size of my bottom, or to see if my double chin was getting any smaller.”
5. Nicole Richie: Nicole Richie never did actually admit that she was struggling with an eating disorder, but her appearance proved otherwise. She looked gauntlike and nothing but a bag of bones. Richie told People, “I felt it was a little unfair to say someone has an eating disorder when they don’t. It’s extremely insulting and irresponsible. An eating disorder is serious and it’s a disease. I don’t think you can lightly say someone has a disease unless they are openly telling you that they do.” Things that make you go hmmmm….
6. Demi Lovato: Demi Lovato came out with a blog on Seventeen magazine’s website titled “My Battle With Eating Disorders.” Lovato partially blamed Disney for her issues. More on that here.
7. Ashlee Simpson: It was during her pre-teen years that Ashlee battled an eating disorder. She even talked about it, calling hers “minor”. She said, “When I went to ballet school, I was around a lot of girls with eating disorders, and I actually had a minor one myself. It was about six months of not eating too much at all. I was 11 and five foot, two inches and about 70 pounds. My parents stepped in and made me eat.” Yeah, sounds minor. Eye roll.
8. Mary-Kate Olsen: When she unveiled her rail thin appearance at the unveiling of her and her twin sister’s star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, Mary-Kate looked gaunt. It was shortly after that Olsen sought out treatment for anorexia. More on that here.
Let me tell you, there’s nothing cute about skin and bones. Here’s some women to really admire. Women with CURVES!