It doesn’t take much for Hollywood to produce a biopic. Just be somewhat famous, maybe a scandal or two, and hope that the audience will be interested enough to see the film.
Over the past two decades, biopics have either been big box-office hits or awards material.
Here is my list of the 10 biopics that I think need to be made…
1. EDGAR ALLAN POE- Author, poet and all around quirky guy. He married his 13 year old cousin and he only lived to be 40, due to his severe drinking problem. John Cusack is playing him in a fictional tale called ‘The Raven’. What I want is a true biopic and there are only two actors who could play him. Johnny Depp or Robert Downey Jr.
2. ROBERT MITCHUM- A great actor, who was also the ulitmate rebel. Hard drinking, pot smoking, outspoken, fist-fighting…and he didn’t care what anyone thought about him. His unique looks makes it difficult to think about who to cast, but Sean Penn could pull it off.
3. NAPOLEON BONAPARTE- He was a brilliant French military and political leader. The movie could really show a lot of the French Revolution. Al Pacino would have been perfect for this role 20 years ago. Stanley Kubrick spent his entire film career trying to make this biopic.
4. MARVIN GAYE- Legendary R&B singer, who got his start with Motown. Had a tragic life that dealt with drugs and ultimately his death, by his own father. This movie has been in the works for years with Jesse L. Martin (Law & Order) attached. That project was blown up and is currently nowhere near being close to starting up again.
5. KURT COBAIN- He was the John Lennon of the early 90′s. A singer and songwriter for the king of all grunge bands, Nirvana. A very depressed young man, Cobain took his own life (although some claim murder still). There has been some talk of a biopic, but nothing serious. This could be an Oscar winning role if given to the right young actor.
6. JOHN LENNON- Cobain might have been the John Lennon of his time, but there is only one John Lennon. There was a film last year, Nowhere Boy, that dealt with a teenage Lennon. What I want is a movie about his life as a Beatle, with Yoko, working solo, his stance against the Vietnam War and his assassination. Edward Norton would be perfect as him.
7. ALEXANDER HAMILTON- The first secretary of the treasury, was involved in a political sex scandal, had bitter political rivals, and he was born out of wedlock in the Caribbean by his mother who might have had black in her (scandalous back then). Not only would this make for a great biopic, but also an amazing period piece. Did I mention he was shot to death by Vice President Aaron Burr in a duel?
8. ARETHA FRANKLIN- The Queen of Soul. Not many women have had the jaw dropping voice that she possesses. Her life story would make for a fascinating biopic. She would be tough to cast, because you can’t just have Halle Berry do it. Believe it or not, funny girl Maya Rudolph could possibly do the role very well.
9. DAVID BOWIE- The Thin White Duke. Ziggy Stardust. He always looked like an alien life form, but with a voice that captured music lovers for nearly five decades. Controversial performances, plus his admitting to bisexual tendencies in the early 70′s, made anything he did seem taboo. Velvet Goldmine did it’s best roman à clef, but it’s time for the real thing.
10. JIMI HENDRIX- Perhaps the greatest guitarist who ever lived. Jimi had an iconic performance at Woodstock in 1969. He lived the rock star lifestyle, with drugs, women, alcohol, etc. Another talented performer, another early death. I think Will Smith would make a good Jimi Hendrix.